Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cat5 wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGC

Vendor
Mar 19, 2000
US
I have 4 systems on a network, all with 10/100 cards and a 10 hub (for now). I am having problems with the wiring. I made up some 568b cables and the network can't see each other. Went I use a straight pair wiring the network works. Does the 568B need a full 100 network to work? <p>R & G Computers<br><a href=mailto:rafales@carnegienet.net>rafales@carnegienet.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Look down the list in this forum for a thread titled &quot;CAT5 CAbling Standards&quot;.&nbsp;&nbsp;Briefly: look at the info on <br><A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> when done correctly will work for 10, 100 and even a phone system.&nbsp;&nbsp;If it is not working, then you are not getting the pinning correct.&nbsp;&nbsp;Straight pair wiring may work on very short runs but will not work very far, since on an Ethernet link, Pair 3 actually straddles Pair 1 and 2 & 3 are the pairs used.&nbsp;&nbsp;Check the diagrams on the site listed above.<br> <p> Jeff<br><a href=mailto: masterracker@hotmail.com> masterracker@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> Of all the things I've lost in life, I miss my mind the most ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back