Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CAT5 WAN link between buildings

Status
Not open for further replies.

rms140

Vendor
Jun 19, 2002
GB
I'm trying to propose a solution to a client who has 6 building currently using CAT5 extending approx 200 meters.

I'm thinking of installing a switch in each building and run in external CAT5 (through underground conduit) to each building and create a series WAN circuit. Only problem is that if one switch goes down, the whole circuit fails.

I think I can create a parallel circuit by punching down my in and out link cables on 1 patch panel port.

Am I going about this wrong? Does anyone know of a better way to do this? The client is already replacing the internal grade CAT 5 (run through the underground conduit) with external grade but he's pulling through multiple runs where just a single cable will do the job. Not a busy site and fiber would get too expensive for what they want or need.

What would be real nice is to find a switch that will pass signal through 2 ports if power or the switch fails.

one, cat 5 is only rated to 100 meters and causes ground loops.

Nortel calls what you want Multi Link Trunking, and several of their high end switches offer it, there is no 'standard' for it yet but they are trying I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

I would sure consider multistrand fiber. If they are in a series configuration, pull thru each location and pull a pair off at each switch. Much faster solution, much more reliable.

Im short on time right now or I'd explain more, but it would be the better solution.

Also, technically I don't believe Cat5 causes ground loops. Improper installation of ANY metalic wiring media is subject to ground loop problems, depending on equipment. The ground loop exists when there is more than one ground potential between the two devices that are communicating. It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back