Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cat5 Patch panel to dual RJ11 adapter... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crowtalks

Technical User
Mar 19, 2005
US
I have a customer that is converting from 66 blocks to patch panel for all of their telco wiring. They are terminating one Cat5 per patch module and a few of the jack locations they are needing to use a pair for the digital telephone and another pair out of the Cat5 for analog DT. Does anyone know of a vertical adapter that would plug into the patch panel female module and give two RJ11s, one with w/b w/o and the other RJ11 with the w/g w/b, thus splitting the wire and allowing two pairs to be used from the module?

Thanks, Jim

"If I had known it would turn out like this, I would have became a locksmith" Albert Einstein

NCSS NCTS NCTE CS1000E
Mitel 3300 4.2 basic & advanced, 5000 4.0, NuPoint I&M 4.2

No, but do you have spare ports on the patch panel?

I wire on the back of the Patch Panel:

Port A - Blue and Green to Port B Blue and Green
Port A - Orange and Brown to Port C Blue and Green
(This is all 568-B wiring pattern)

Now run a short patch cable from Port A to the port leading to the station cable. You can patch to B for the 1st extension, and C for the 2nd.

At the workstation end, either terminate your jacks with Blue/Green on one and Orange/Brown on the other, or terminate the jack module 568-B, plug in a patch cord that you cut in half, and terminate Blue/Green on jack module, Orange/Brown on another, put those jack keystones in the faceplate, and leave the 568-B terminated jack and patch cord in the box behind.

That would work, but they are looking at approximately 130+ wire runs and at $5 to $6 per module, they chose to purchase one module per wire. I have seen these adapters in the past (I think they were dual RJ45 instead RJ11), and had a couple of them seven or eight years ago, but I can't locate them.

I have taken on existing hardware situations where I connected a short patch and I have clipped the end and wired 1,2,3&6 on one RJ45 and 4,5,7&8 on the other to give 10mb data and telephone both at the panel, but it isn't pretty...

"If I had known it would turn out like this, I would have became a locksmith" Albert Einstein

NCSS NCTS NCTE CS1000E

ttech: Who's the manufacturer?

Jim

NCSS NCTS NCTE CS1000E

Found it...Hubbell...of course!

Thanks ttech!

NCSS NCTS NCTE CS1000E

Even though I have been doing this for 35 years, apparently I am not a real technician, nor apparently does the nation-wide telco that I work for employ real techs since they have never ordered, or used Bix. (Actually, we do use bix for specialized apps such as terminating to Nortel PBX because it comes with the PBX package) Apparently none of the computer or networking technicians I have ever met in my 35 years are actual technicians since most use patches with wire management that makes a very neat environment, something you apparently have not heard of.

By the way, thanks for the totally useless answer just so you can increase your answer count.

Jim

NCSS NCTS NCTE CS1000E

methinks that a post or two have been deleted here since none of the responders have mentioned bix. I have rarely seen bix at a location I have been. But then again I have rarely worked on Nortel equipment and of course Nortel no longer exists so moot point aplenty.

LOL...yeah, someone posted about how real technicians only use BIX and some other stuff with absolutely no useful info at all and I replied to it as you saw. Subsequently, someone decided their post was inappropriate and deleted it, I guess...I'm not heart-broken over it :)

NCSS NCTS NCTE CS1000E

Not to get involved in your pricey solution that doesn't solve anything, the Brand Rex splitter looks good, but it's designed for RJ-61 infrastructure! You are better off adding a patch panel with custom wiring to a "bix" block LOL.

When I terminate Cat-5e cable on voice jacks, I leave a lot of slack for the second jack (as in I terminate 2 pairs per jack) and at the frame end to allow them to move to a patch panel in the future. I have also used voice grade "buck a port" 8-pin panels for custom splitting applications where you patch to a port and use the next 2 ports to split out what you need.

LkEErie

With a room full of ten techs, you will have twenty different solutions...

Ultimately, I find it usually comes down to what the customer's IT department has convinced the bosses they need...that is what I deal with daily...thus the above post...in this scenario, Hubbell vertical splitter is the solution I gave the customer to purchase to split out the pairs as needed...

Thanks guys...

NCSS NCTS NCTE CS1000E

Look at the schematic! The point I'm making is the wiring is not what you can use. You get an RJ-14 on on port and two split pairs on the second!

Thanks LkEErie.

NCSS NCTS NCTE CS1000E

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back