Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CAT5 CABLING STANDARDS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaco

Programmer
Aug 29, 2000
PL
it seems there is so many arguments regarding cabling.<br>how important is it realy to have the right colour pairs.<br>i know there is cabling standards but a lot a people say it doesn't realy matter as long as both ends is the same.<br>any comments!!!!!!!

Always use the standard colors.&nbsp;&nbsp;Even in a home, you will sell it someday and the next person coming in will need to deal with the wiring.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>Using any colors you want is like reversing the white and black in your homes electrical wiring.&nbsp;&nbsp;You may be consistent and everything works, but the next owner or an electrician or someone could get electrocuted because they assumed white is neutral like it is everywhere else.<br><br>Just like any hardware device, business system, software system etc. you can't &quot;just make it work&quot;, you also have to develop something that is repairable and maintainable. <p> Jeff<br><a href=mailto: masterracker@hotmail.com> masterracker@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> Of all the things I've lost in life, I miss my mind the most ...

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;For short runs at slow speeds it probably doesn't matter. For long runs and/or at high speeds, it <b>DOES</b> matter!<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;The reason has to do with how the wires are wrapped around each other. Wires generate a current when data is sent through them and the current generates a magnetic field. Ironically, the magentic field also generates a current through nearby wires. At high speeds or for long cable runs, this secondary current can cause problems.<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;By wrapping pairs of wires around each other, the secondary current is cut down. By following a standard termination code, this secondary current is cut down even further. {As a side note, never unravel the wire pairs more than half an inch when terminating for the same reason.}<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Another problem crops up when you or someone else tries to decode your termination at a latter date. For example, suppose one side of a cable run is damaged and has to be re-terminated. If a standard is not followed, whoever terminates the cable will spend a lot a extra time &quot;debugging&quot; the cable. I've seen techs spend hours trying to track down a single cable in a wiring closet just to find out how the other end of a cable run was terminated.<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Finally, any new devices that come to the market will <i>usually</i> expect a standard termination. If the wiring pairs aren't right, the device may not work as expected.<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;IMHO, stick with a standard. (We use 568B.) It is not that hard to follow and prevents a <b>lot</b> of headaches later.<br> <p>James P. Cottingham<br><a href=mailto:main@ivcusa.com>main@ivcusa.com</a><br><a href= Veneer Co., Inc.</a><br>All opinions are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect those of my employer.

Go by the CAT 5 standards.<br><br>100BaseT connections will not work if the cabling pairs are not correct on the 2 pairs carrying the signal. The phenomenon known as crosstalk will occur if the pairs are not correct or if they are untwisted more than half an inch. You will not be able to make a network connection in such a scenario.<br><br>If you are attempting to do a 10BaseT connection, you can usually get away with non-standard wiring. But when it comes time to troubleshoot you will not be able to because the wiring will always be in question. Realize also that this is not a matter of IF but rather a matter of WHEN you will have to deal with this wiring again.<br><br>As I refer everybody, try<br><A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> good standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back