Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CAT5 cable installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davidpyne

IS-IT--Management
Jul 26, 2002
GB
I have installed a small peer to peer network into a local primary school. Its all working great. One of the school govenors is saying that I need to state that it has been installed to a standard. I know my work is good and as I said before it works a treat.

Does anybody have any words of wisdom that I can write into some type of document to keep this guy happy?

I guess my first question is did you install the wiring to some recognized standard such as EIA/TIA 568 ? If you did, did you test the wiring and confirm that it in fact has 100 Mbs bandwidth and the noise and crosstalk is acceptable? Are the wires secured, routed and labeled properly? If you did install it according to a recognized standard, I would write a letter outlining the standard and attesting to the fact that you installed the wire to that standard. Where I live, it requires a license to do the work, it is generally accepted that someone with some design certification should sign off on the layout and oversee the project, and then an electrical permit is placed on the job and the electrical inspector comes in and signs that the wiring meets the National Electrcial Code requirements.

I have done the same thing you are doing, with three public schools and a private school. I had parents who wanted to help, etc., and I let them be involved in the placing of the wire, drilling holes, etc. Then I terminated the wires, tested and labeled, and they were ready to go.

Good Luck. It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back