Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CAT5 4 Wires in existing setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

bronco191

Technical User
Nov 25, 2003
US
Stupid question, I am looking at a new office space we are about to move into. They have the place wired from the last tenant, but they only connected 4 of the 8 wires and bent back the rest. I know you only really use 4 for 10/100, but shouldn't they have connected the rest anyways? Will this still push 100 Mps or only 10 Mps? I was thinking of just running new wire to make sure we get to a good start. Thanks guys for your advice!!

PS. Second post..Posted this in the wrong forum first, sorry.

Providing you have 1,2,3&6 connected on the RJ45 it should work (unless anyone knows differently!)

Generally when you see 4 connections, it's for appletalk on a macintosh network. This will cause problems with connectivity over windows based tcp/ip with the loss of crosstalk.
You would be much better off running some new cable to be sure you aren't chasing problems down the road. At least then you can run high quality cat5 or better yet, cat6.

~ K.I.S.S - Don't make it any more complex than it has to be ~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back