Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cat4506 Sup II unable to bootup

Status
Not open for further replies.

frenzeus1881

IS-IT--Management
Jun 16, 2003
US
It's a fresh from the box Cat4506 with Sup II running on CatOS. As it initiated a bootup test, it detects all modules and has a pass in all tested areas, including sup module's gbics.

However as it comes out from the diagnostics, it shows a big error word on the console. The following is the msg:

The supervisor/chassis sprom is invalid, system can not boot.
Rebooting in 15 seconds...

the process keeps repeating in a loop.

What could possibly be the problem?

This is some sort of hardware problem , time to call cisco and get the Sup replaced . Somehow it doesn't surprise me as we have had all types of problems with the Sup II's . Have replaced literally dozens of these things on the account we work .

I don't beleive the old Sup II can run on the 4500 series chassis. Only the Sup II Plus /3/4/5 can, and the old line cards.

I could be wrong though. :-(

We have 2 units of the Cat4506, 1 of which is running fine with the supII module. the other doesn't. But thanks anyways.

I found it interesting when playing with the newer Sup II+'s that these things will route using OSPF . I posed the question on CCO about this and they said it is in the IOS but it is not supported .

Alrite, thanks a lot guys. Have reported bout the error alrite. Waiting for the replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back