Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cat2900XL to factory reboot challange

Status
Not open for further replies.

rn4it

MIS
Nov 7, 2002
CA
Hi,
I've retired a Cisco Cat 2900XL and I want to reset it to factory default. My problem is, this is a switch I inherited, the previous network administrator had disable console access.
line con 0
transport input none
stopbits 1

So I've tried configuring a small duplicated network using a linksys router to allow me through the ACLs, so I can telnet(which is enabled). However, I still can't gain access to the switch, ping and telnet don't work. So my question is is there any way to reset a cat2900XL to factory default without console access?

thanks
John

Thank, however that article you need console access, which as I mentioned console access had been disabled. Thanks anyways.

Wrong, the console access is disabled IN THE CONFIG, after the switch is completely booted. The "break-in" procedure allows you to boot WITHOUT CONFIG, reset password and re-apply the startup configuration. So if you do that and skip the last part you should get yourself a pretty much factory default reset switch.

Hope this helps.

Ok, then the previous admin changed the console settings to something else, as I have no ability to see the boot sequence from console. The same device, cable and settings work with other switches in our environment.
thanks

Sounds to me that if you are seeing nothing at all on the serial console (9600-8-N-1) there's a chance the previous guy changed the default baud rate.

You might try some of the faster standard baud rates and see if anything shows up. At the very least you should see some garbage on the line if the protocol or bit rate is not right.

Or it could be possible the serial port is just broken?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back