Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cat 6E Install/test

Status
Not open for further replies.

jk229

Technical User
Jan 25, 2004
US
dose anyone have any tips or rules on pulling and term. cat 6E? Also, I have OmniScanner2, anyone know the settings to test cat6E. I know cat6E has no standers yet, but has anyone heard what it might be?

1) there is no Category 6e, so we have no tips on it. No Cat 6e has even been proposed

2) You can use any settings you like they will be just as valid as any other settings as there is no such standard.

3) it might be anything, but I bet it never will be, Cat 7 is already in the standards process and slowly working it's way along, so I don't see the point of a Cat 6e committee being formed.one wonders.

4) Since Cat 6e is not a standard but what ever some advertizing brouchure says it is, you could ask the vendor trying to sell it

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Gotta love the manufacturers trying to hype up a "better" mouse trap.
Jim is right on the money on Cat 6"E".
Furthermore, I don't care what Mhz the manufacturers say it runs, you can only test to 250 Mhz, since that is the standard and that is what testers are built to test.
The electronics in computers and switches are also built to the standards, this is why we have standards, so everything knows what everything else is suppose to be doing, that way it all works together. HOPEFULLY

So don't get caught up in all the hype, just install and test to the standards, and things will work just fine.

Richard S. Anderson, RCDD

Two things:

1) I've read a couple places that the standards bodies are looking to an 'enhanced' Cat6 (tho' and unoffical name) for a 10G over UTP. It doesn't appear that they have decided whether or not to go this route or stick with the existing Cat6 or even move to a Cat7. But that's for some one else to figure out, and that will take some time.

2) You CAN test past 250Mhz. The Fluke DSP tests to 350Mhz and the OmniTester tests to 300Mhz. But you don't NEED to test past 250Mhz, yet. The info I've seen on 10G has said that it would probably be up to 633Mhz.

I'll second Richard's statement on installing and testing to the standards, but add that you should keep an eye on what's comming down the road from the standards bodies (particularly TIA) and not neccessarily from the manufactures. Though it is good to keep an eye on them too.

Justin T. Clausen
Physical Layer Implementation
California State University, Monterey Bay

Being on the bleeding edge and make you annemic. Or at least very pale.

Justin T. Clausen
Physical Layer Implementation
California State University, Monterey Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back