Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cat 6 and Cat6A distance 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 29, 2009
US
Need to run Cat 6 or 6a close to 300ft. Should I get nervous regarding the distance?
Thanks for help everyone...

Not if you keep the twist close at the termination end points.
300 feet should not be a problem.

If it passes the cable tester for the network they want to install, the distance passes.

Regards
Peter Buitenhek
ProfitDeveloper.com

"Never settle for a job well done...always look for cost cutting measures

As the other posters here are indicating, there is a distinct difference between the two classes of cable. It'd be best to know exactly what you're trying to certify these runs for.

If it's a backbone run between IDF's, I'd probably run fiber. (singlemode if equipment cost isn't a factor)

If you're just running to a PC, then speed is less of a consideration, and 300ft wouldn't make me nervous at all.

Category 6a is not limited to 37m for 10G. That limitation was removed quite a while ago.
Cat6a can currently support 10 Gbit/s applications (especially 10GBaseT) up to a maximum distance of 100 meters (330 ft).

Richard S. Anderson, RCDD

If the cable is Run properly no kinks,tight bends ,tie wraps cinched to hard, then the distance is not a big factor. especially if you are using a complete solution (same manufacturer of the jack,patch panel,patch cords,etc)
Most manufacturers have a lot of head end built in to their solutions that will compensate for length and a few mistakes

Tim Roberts
RCDD
Roberts Low voltage Systems and Design

When connecting IDF's using Fiber. Recommendation on how many strands of fiber used? Single mode or Multimode?
Thank you...

When I pull fiber to an IDF, I always try to pull at least twice the number of strands I think I'll use. 2 strands per connection, so if I can forsee 3 devices using 6 strands, I'll pull at least a 12 strand feed.

As to single vs multimode, most companies use multimode because the hardware is cheaper than for singlemode. When I can, though, I like to pull composite cable, with strands of each to cover future changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back