Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cat-5E

Status
Not open for further replies.

silver987

Vendor
Sep 22, 2004
US
I am trying to tie two cat 5-E jacks together and when I out the tester on them the continuity is fine but the T test shows green pair "Pins cross twisted" I have not seen that before. Any help appreciated.

Wayne T

Sounds like Tip and Ring reversed

OLD ROLMEN WORKING ON NORTELS AND AVAYA

No, not reversed. That is what puzzles me, I have tried several jacks and I get the same thing.

Wayne T

Split pairs? What kind of jacks, and are you following the wiring chart on the jack where the wires terminate, or putting them in the standard 568-A/B pattern? Because the order of the wires on the termination point is not the same as the order of the pins on the jack.

What kind of termination are you doing? RJ45 plugs with a coupler? Wiring to an 8 conductor jack with screww terminals? Are you keeping the individual pair twist as long as you can up to termination?

Wich pair are twisted?
568-a and 568-b are different!

The green and orange pair are reversed.
As other asked, what are the connectors you are using?

I think the problem was too short (10") a cable, I plugged it in to a 50' cable and it tested fine. Go figure...

Wayne T

sounds like your 10 foot patch cable may have been a crossover cable

Pins Cross Twisted is a strange phrase to see from a tester. Almost made me believe that the orange and green pairs were pulled apart a and the green wire was twisted with the white-orange wire. Strange phrasing. What tester are you using?

Siemon STM-8 tester is a good unit, it's what I use. And if testing a cable less than about 10 feet it will fail the "transmission test", where it looks for crosstalk between pairs. This tester will first check continuity from pin to pin, and then for split pairs. So you may pass the first portion of the test, but fail if you pinned it out wrong (or if the cable is too short to test)

That sounds like what happened, when I added 50' T.O.K.
Thanks for all the inputs.

Wayne T

Yes i'm also in favor of STM-8 tester, is an excellent device, it is precisely what I exploit. If assessment some sort of cable tv under about 10 ft it'll are unsuccessful your "transmission test", in which this looks for crosstalk among sets. This specific tester may initial check out continuity via flag to be able to flag, after which intended for split sets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back