Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cat 5e vs Cat6 redux

Status
Not open for further replies.

peakdocs

Technical User
Jul 14, 2001
US
We're remodeling and I'm trying to decide how to properly wire my house - specifically, whether I should choose cat5e or cat6. I've browsed the opinions on this oft-asked topic and it comes down to how I'll use the network, and for that I would like to use VOIP, gigabit ethernet, and will have a centralized media server. That would suggest I will take advantage of cat6. My concern is that for budgetary and marital purposes I have to do my own installation. I am not completely amateur in this regard, but I respect professional work to question my capacity to correctly install cat6 having only worked with cat5e to date. There is also the cost issue of cat6 connectors, cabling, etc being 25-33% more expensive. What I'd hate to see is that I don't get the benefits of cat6 because the installation isn't perfect and yet I paid the premium.

So the question is, would cat6 be recommended for a DIY home installer (with reasonable skill but basic tools), and does it really provide worthy benefits for home use over cat5e?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

From my limited cat6 install experience, cat6 is designed for those who don't know how to install it. It has a shield between pairs and in many cases the pairs are glued together to prevent over seperation.
Don't over tighten your ty wraps, keep away from a/c, motors, florecent lights and other sources of power, if you must cross do so at 90 degrees. don't make tight corners or bends in the wire. And of course all connections must be cat6 or none of it is, (patch cords, connectors ect.)
Follow that and you'll be fine.

Cat 5e does 10 meg, 100 meg, and gig Ethernet to 100 meters.
Cat 6 does 10 meg, 100 meg, and gig Ethernet to 100 meters, and 10 gig Ethernet to 55 meters.
Cat 6A does 10 meg, 100 meg, gig Ethernet, and 10 gig Ethernet to 100 meters.

You need not consider any Cat 6 variant until you need 10 gig Ethernet, then Cat 6 is only good for 'short' runs. For a large business, Cat 6A is the way to go, for the rest of us, Cat 5e.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

If you're not doing 10GB ethernet, then there's nothing that Cat6 can do that Cat 5e can't. No point whatsoever in spending the additional money on cable and connectors that are more difficult to work with and won't gain you anything in regards to performance. Stick with 5e.

Residentially I think cat6 won't do you any good over cost but I would run 6 pair (2ea cat 5e) to every drop (all slack spared for a really good phone guys use). That would give you a POTs in and POTs out and ethernet in and ethernet out at every drop by spitting pairs given a central splice point.

For basic POTs service, CAT 3 will work quite nicely.

If it ain't broke, I haven't fixed it yet.

I am seeing a marked difference in head room regardless of the length, on Cat 6 over the Cat 5e. I have never tested Cat 6a, but wonder about the benefits to cost ratio.
I know, I know, Cat 5e does 10 meg, 100 meg, and gig Ethernet to 100 meters.Cat 6 does 10 meg, 100 meg, and gig Ethernet to 100 meters, and 10 gig Ethernet to 55 meters.Cat 6A does 10 meg, 100 meg, gig Ethernet, and 10 gig Ethernet to 100 meters.
But I wonder what you all are seeing on the cable analysers and what you think about the hands on in the field.

I have to agree with the others and say go with Cat 5E. In your home that will do whatever you need to do at a third of the price. Its also more forgiving (for lack of a better term) to terminate.

Also like the other have mentioned make two runs to each outlet and you will be set.

Also include this to your TV outlets. In the near future (actually now) you will be able to pipe video from your receiver to other Tv's/monitors and watch your movies. Also piping them from your PC to TV's/Monitors is becoming more and more popular. All across Cat5E

When is the last time you helped someone, just because you were able to?

For the best response to a question, read faq690-6594

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back