Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cat 5e and Cat6 pricing in NYC 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 29, 2009
US
In today's challanging market in NYC. What is a good price for installing Cat 5E Dual runs and Cat 6? Appreciate knowing what the prices going for. Managing a build-out

We aren't trying to be evasive...

Well, maybe we are. I doubt anyone in NYC, who may be bidding against you will want to give you a low number here, and if they do, you might not want to trust it.

There are a lot of labor variables that effect how much a run will cost the contractor that can't be determined site unseen. Are you trying to drop cinder block walls, or are piped boxes being provided for you? Are there cable trays in the ceiling, or are you providing J hooks every 4 feet? How long are the runs?

All the rest is and accounting question- How much can you afford to shave your profit margin?

Im a contractor in NYC. Honestly I am not going to give you any numbers because of the obvious reasons. But I can tell you this, Union employees who have been out of work for 6 months or better are killing business here. They are doing cabling at ridiculous prices that most companies cant compete with. And these companies from the Mid-West are driving prices down here by using these guys. I can also tell you that we lost our biggest account to a contractor who had similar or more expensive pricing but was giving big kickbacks to the salesman.

What I will tell you is that union labor is going to be about double from what your non-union labor cost will be especially if your using IBEW. Also to keep cost down try to use PVC cable instead of plenum when possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back