Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cat 5500 with RSM - R my DMA Channels Busy ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdonoghue

IS-IT--Management
Jul 12, 2001
GB

Hi,

I have a Cisco Catalyst 5500 with an RMS fitted. I think this router has some serious bottlenecks but can't see any statistics that prove that I am right (maybe I am not). However I think the bottleneck is the DMA channels that connect it to the backplane of the switch (200mbs full duplex (400Mbs)). Are there any commands that show the utilisation of the DMA channels? CPU and Interface stats all look OK but the LED's are almost permanently on and I would like to know how to check the DMA channels on this device.

Can you help ?

Many thanks in advance of your replies,

Regards,

Tony :)

the DMA's a used based on vlan numbers, odd numbered vlans use one dma channel and even number vlans used the other dma channel.

you can use the "Show Interface VLANx" (x = vlan number) to see how much traffic is going through the vlans and in that case the dma's

you are correct the 200MBPS in, 200MBPS out channels will obviously (based on packet size) dictate the throughput speed you can expect....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back