Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cat.5 RJ45 termination diagram

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I need a cat.5 RJ45 termination diagram or verbal instruction.

Looking at the bottom of a connector with the pins facing up they are numbered 1-8 from left to right. The most common configuration for 10/100 is EIA/TIA 568B which I show below.

[tt]
W O W B W G W B
H R H L H R H R
T G T U T N T N
/ / / / / / / /
O W G W B W B W
R H R H L H R H
G T N T U T N T
------------------------------
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

[/tt]
Don't untwist the cable more than 1/2 inch or it will not support 100Mb speeds.

Any catalog ( for example that sells cables should have pictures of how the cables are pinned.

Your best bet is to buy premade cables. In the long run you will get better reliablility [sig]<p> Jeff<br><a href=mailto: masterracker@hotmail.com> masterracker@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>If everything seems to be going well: you don't have enough information.......[/sig]

I always carry a small patch cable that I know works at 100 and just copy it onto the cable that I am making.

Jeff, I didn't realize that if you untwist more then 1/2&quot; that 100 will not work properly, Good Tip..... [sig]<p>Troy Williams B.Eng.<br><a href=mailto:fenris@hotmail.com>fenris@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> [/sig]

I would not adivse use of the below diagram it doesn't tell you to swap the blue white with the green white. The true T568B pattern is

OW,O,GW,B,BW,G,BW,B

You can easily find examples on the internet.

Here is a nice Cabling diagram in PDF suitable for printing. I like it primarily for the visual color diagram. Cut it out for your toolbox. :)

I have to agree with Masterracker and stand behind using pre-fab cables though. Use them whenever you can. Leave custom stuff to the building wiring, and contract that out if you can. Of course, there is always that special situation when you need to make your own cable.

I have a UTP cable with a strange colour configuration, it has 8 different colours instead of the usual 4 twisted pair of green, blue, brown and orange/white and I would like to know how to order them for connecting the RJ-45's

Thanks any help will be appreciated

That sounds like an old fashioned phone cable of a style called &quot;8P8C&quot;. I doubt very much that it's actually twisted pair and would be certain that, even if it's twisted, it's not twisted to CAT5 standards. Just for the hell of it the equivlent color order is:

1 - Blue
2 - Orange
3 - Black
4 - Red
5 - Green
6 - Yellow
7 - Brown
8 - White

It would work fine for most digital and all analog phones, but I wouldn't try to use it for any kind of computer networking.
Jeff

I haven't lost my mind - I know it's backed up on tape somewhere ....

The twist should really be 1/4 inch from the punch down, not 1/2 inch.

The spec allows up to 1/2&quot;. Basically it has to because a crimp-on connector will require almost 1/2&quot; to reach the contacts. In practice you should go for as little untwist as possible. On a 66 block you should be able to get 1/4&quot;. On a 110 block you should be able to nearly zero on pais that are grouped side by side.
Jeff

I haven't lost my mind - I know it's backed up on tape somewhere ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back