Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cat 5 RJ11??

Status
Not open for further replies.

riddock55

IS-IT--Management
Dec 15, 2007
GB
Hi,

I have a cisco 1741 router which has our intenet connection attached via RJ11 shdsl ports.

Basically I need to get a couple of longer cables. The cable says crossover, cat 5..

I am struggling to find any cat5 crossover with RJ11 connectors?

Am I going mad?

Cheers

What cable says crossover? Your phone line should plug into the port...

Burt

Thanks for your reply.

There are 2 cables from the wall going into the router...The cables say cat 5 (24 AWG CMR Verified) and they have rj11 connections going into the SHDSL ports.

There is also a sticker on each saying crossover.

The cables are slightly thinner than a normal cat 5 rj45 cable..

Can you buy these?

A 'standard' RJ11 telephone line cable has just two wires connected (usually the middle two on the RJ11 plug - pins 3 & 4). They are not (usually?) polarity sensitive - i.e. if your circuit is presented as an RJ11 and the SHDSL interface on your router has an RJ11 you don't need to ensure pin 4 goes to pin 4 and 5 to 5, you can connect 4 to 5 and 5 to 4.

That is normally the case with ADSL connections and standard analogue phones (& modems). I have never worked with SHDSL however I assume it is the same?

I made a coverter to convert the RJ11 to an RJ45 and used Cat5/6 structured cabling to present the RJ11 somewhere else. Actually an RJ11 plug will fit in an RJ45 socket and will connect to the central 6-pins (it its fully wired). If it is just a telephone type connection then only the middle 2 pins (3&4 on the RJ11 and 4&5 on the RJ45) will be connected.

Andy

Sounds like someone may have cannibalized a Cat5 crossover cable to make a "phone" cable for the DSL connection by cutting off the rj45 and replacing with rj11's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back