Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CAT 5 Connection for Home LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattcaney

Technical User
Aug 29, 2002
GB
Hi ya, Please could you me know if its possible to link up two Win 2K machine directly without going through Hub. I have just upgraded the Network cards to 100Mbs but the hub is only rated at 10Mbs, hence the reason for a direction connection between the two PC's with one CAT5 cable. I only require two PC's to networked for study purposes only. Thanks Matt

You should be able to accomplish this but you will need a crossover cable instead of a straight cable.....Get a crossover cable and plug it directly into each NIC card. Please remember to give helpful posts the stars they deserve!
This makes the post more visible to others in need! [thumbsup2]

Robert L. Johnson III, A+, Network+, MCP
Access Developer/Programmer
robert.l.johnson.iii@citigroup.com

You sure can. What you need is a crossover cable. You can make one out of a regular CAT5 patch cable. The only thing you need to do is swap wires 1 with 3, and 2 with 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back