Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CAT 3/5 punchdown training 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodyk

IS-IT--Management
May 3, 2001
US
Does anyone know a good company to use for punchdown training for CAT 3 or 5 (for PBX cross-connects)? I'm tired of calling in cabling companies to do 10 minutes of work just to split a pair to add a modem etc.
Thanks.

Good site.

One book I have that's pretty good is "Cabling: The Complete Guide to Network Wiring" by David Groth and Jim McBee (Published by Sybex). I got it on Amazon. It shows all the various wiring schemes, connectors, etc. as well as giving some design considerations for structured cabling, wiring closets, etc.

Any of the various vendors sites will have info as well. Siemon, Hubbell, Belden, Anixter, etc. Jeff

I haven't lost my mind - I know it's backed up on tape somewhere ....

Sounds like you already have a 110 block, the PBX, and a bunch of cabling in place. Why not just post a couple of questions here and get them answered? Honestly, there's not much to cross connects. If you're punching down to a prewired board, it's all pretty straightforward. 66 block work is a little more tricky (hard not to touch the wrong thing sometimes), but still just a couple of wires from here... to there.
Take some time and study the layout of your punchdown board. Find out where the wiring goes (if it isn't properly labeled already) and drop a line in here. Ain't much to it.

Another couple of good books to check out are Mike's Basic Guide to Cabling Computers and Telephones and/or Mike's Basic Guide to Cabling Computers and Telephones in Homes and Apartments. You can get them from Amazon.com.

First, the requisite qualifiers: I'm not a professional cable installer, just a guy who likes playing with cables. I would definitely classify myself as a beginner.

Mike Gorman (the author) does a really nice job of explaining the basics of punchdown blocks and how everything relates. He also has really good diagrams, even if they are a little small sometimes. As always, YMMV.

Here're the ISBNs:
Mike's Basic Guide to Cabling: Computers and Telephones (0966063805)
and
Mike's Basic Guide to Cabling Computers and Telephone in Homes and Apartments (0966063813)

I also like the Groth and McBee book mentioned above (Cabling: The Complete Guide to Network Wiring; ISBN: 0782126456).

Don

Fotec (a leader in fiber optic components) offers on line training for terminating fiber as well as Cat3/5, through their Cable University "CableU". I think the training costs about $70, but you get drilled on the basics and when you're through you'll be punching down and making patch cables with the best-of-em.

This was the only training I had prior to cabling a facility for a 20 node LAN, about a year ago, and it really set me off on the right foot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back