Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Casual Query: PST file size far larger than 'folder size'

Status
Not open for further replies.

weogarth

MIS
Sep 8, 2003
US
Hi all

Something I've noticed is a fairly constant thing in standalone Outlook (not used with Exchange) is that when you go to properties and check 'folder size' for Outlook Today, the folder size is a lot smaller than the actual PST file in the directory. This is even after a compression.

Since everything is working fine, it's not really an issue but I was wondering if anyone knew the 'why' of this. For example, my PST file size is 100,848KB but the Folder size inside of Outlook is only 70,008KB.

Thoughts?

Gary Whitten

Hi Gary

Interesting. I just checked mine and see the same kind of thing. I'm only guessing here but maybe when you check the size on the PST file you're looking at it's entire contents including configuration (mail server settings that kind of thing??) but when you check the folder within outlook you're only seeing the contents of the email folders.

Hopefully someone can confirm or otherwise

Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back