Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cash Receipts - Transaction will not post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Borvik

Programmer
Jan 2, 2002
US
We have a transaction that just will not post from the Cash Receipts Entry window (GP 10). At first the user was trying it from a batch, I have tried changing the batch (to a new TEST batch), and then without a batch (posting directly) with no success.

When trying to post directly we get the following error: An error occurred when updating permanent records. Transaction will not post.

I have seen this from a couple of different machines (so not a client issue). I've seen some suggestions to change the batch (tried and failed).

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Is that the entire error? "An error occurred when updating permanent records. Transaction will not post."? No additional information available? I do not recall getting an error like that in GP, I am wondering if there is a 3rd party product involved possibly?

The error itself as well as your subsequent testing seems to indicate that there was a problem committing the data at the SQL level, but usually you would get a more detailed/specific error stating that with a table name, etc.

Can you post other cash receipts? If so, can you try deleting this one and re-entering it?

Victoria Yudin
Dynamics GP MVP 2005 - 2012
Use Crystal Reports and SSRS with GP:
blog:

This had started with the receipt not showing ANY invoice that the check could be applied to. It also wouldn't let us save or delete it (buttons would depress, but it didn't freeze - or respond). The Payment Document Module was not installed.

We killed GP, restarted it, and I ran check links against the Cash Receipts Open tables.

We tried reentering it, and got the error mentioned above - and yes that was all there was to the error.

Just for game we tried deleting it and reentering it (changing the check number by adding a period to it), and this time it worked.

Thanks for the update. It sounds like you have this particular issue resolved, but it may be something to keep an eye on for the future. Do you periodically move your paid AR transactions to history? If not, then the Cash Receipt apply process could take a tremendously long time for customers with a lot of activity. I have seen that cause timeouts or crashes simply because there are too many records and GP is sending them to the application from the server 25 at a time.

I would also recommend running Reconcile on the Outstanding Document Amounts when you have a chance to make sure all the customer and transaction totals are updated properly.

Victoria Yudin
Dynamics GP MVP 2005 - 2012
Use Crystal Reports and SSRS with GP:
blog:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back