Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Case Statement Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

PRUSA

Technical User
Sep 23, 2004
US
Hi Everyone,

I have the following case statement in my query, and I am looking to see if anyone could give me an idea of how to rework this so I dont get multiple rows in my output

Basically I have a field which should ideally be 8 characters in length, then its not I add leading zero's so i can do my corect substring

As you can tell I'm testng when the lenght is 6, 7, and 8

If its not any of these 3 then i use a defaault value of 0 for my column.

My problem is when i do my group by , i get 0 thress times because I'm its meeting my conditions three times how can i restructure this so in my ouput I only have one column for 0's

Any help would be apprciated
Code:
case 
when len(acc.custom_data_91) = 6 then substring('00' + acc.custom_data_91,1,3) + substring('00' + acc.custom_data_91,6,3)

when len(acc.custom_data_91) = 7 then substring('0' + acc.custom_data_91,1,3) + substring('0' + acc.custom_data_91,6,3)

when len(acc.custom_data_91) = 8 then substring(acc.custom_data_91,1,3) + substring(acc.custom_data_91,6,3) 

else '0' end as ColumnA

You should be able to replace your case statement with this...

[tt][blue]SubString(Right('00000000' + acc.custom_data_91, 8), 1, 3) + SubString(Right('00000000' + acc.custom_data_91, 8), 6, 3) As ColumnA[/blue][/tt]

If this works for you, and you'd like me to explain it, just let me know.

-George

"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

Actually, that can be reduced down to this...

[tt][blue]
SubString(Right('00000000' + acc.custom_data_91, 8), 1, 3) + Right(acc.custom_data_91, 3) As ColumnA
[/blue][/tt]

or even this...

[tt][blue]
Left(Right('00000000' + acc.custom_data_91, 8), 3) + Right(acc.custom_data_91, 3) As ColumnA
[/blue][/tt]

** These suggestions are more about readability than anything else.

-George

"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

thanks gmmastros
for getting back to me i really appreciate,

I'm going to test this out on Monday, due to the heavy snow everyone is getting out early :)

I'll let you know monday

thanks again,

Actually this is not working, all its adding is leading 0'z to my columns for for example a column that has 1234567 now becomes, 000000001234567, and when i do a substring a position one for 3 spaces I'm not getting the information I would need?

Any suggestions let me know if I need to clarify more

Thanks Again,
Sergio

The code worked!!

Code:
SubString(Right('00000000' + RTrim(acc.custom_data_91), 8), 1, 3) + SubString(Right('00000000' + RTrim(acc.custom_data_91), 8), 6, 3) As ColumnA

It wasn't working before because it didnt realize my existing field already had a blank spaces in it, so basically I put the RTrim function :)

Thanks for your help again with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back