Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Case Statement Causes Slowness

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrWolf

MIS
Mar 19, 2001
Hi All,
I have a SQL view that contains a CASE statement to identify is a given value is not null in which case the result shown is a simple asterisk, otherwise nothing. This is used to identify a primary contact that is linked to an organization. The problem is that while helping the users of my .NET application it slows down the view by 75%. Does any one have any idea that will give me the same result but improve performance?

View Syntax:
SELECT Person.PersonID, Person.FirstName, Person.LastName, CASE WHEN Organization.OrganizationID IS NULL THEN '' ELSE '*' END AS PrimaryContactFlag
FROM Person
LEFT OUTER JOIN Organization ON Person.PersonID = Organization.PrimaryContactID

Thank you

Do you have an index on the PrimaryContactId column of the Organization table?

Try running this....

Code:
sp_helpindex 'organization'

This will show you the indexes that exist for the Organization table. I suspect that you do NOT have an index on the column. Furthermore, if you do index it, I suspect that your query performance will improve.

-George

"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

Thanks for looking at this. I did not have an index on this table. I added it but the performance improvement wasn't noticeable. Then I found a solution that really worked. I broke the view into two, with the second select statement just being the organization table where the PrimaryContactID wasn't null. This worked like I had actually removed the case statement.

New view:
SELECT Person.PersonID, Person.FirstName, Person.LastName, PCF.PrimaryContactFlag
FROM Person
LEFT OUTER JOIN (SELECT PrimaryContactID, '*' AS PrimaryContactFlag FROM Organization WHERE PrimaryContactID Is Not Null) PCF ON PCF.PrimaryContactFlag = PersonID

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back