Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cascading Parms – Enter Text Value – CR XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noodle10

Programmer
Dec 12, 2012
US
Hello,

I’m very new to CR and am trying to figure out an issue with cascading prompts.

I understand how to develop a cascade with 2 values that have values in the database (ie. State/City).

My issue is that my parent prompt needs to be a text field since it is an ID value and there are so many in the DB that I don’t want a dropdown. The user will have this information available.

The second prompt will be based on the text entry.

This is for an EMR (Electronic Medical Records) application where I’m finding a patient problem list. The first prompt will be the Patient ID followed by their problem list (dropdown).

Easy, right? :)

Thanks, Noodle

Use a command to provide your cascade list.

SQL will be something like

select patientproblem
from yourtable
where patientIDfield = ?yourparameter1

Not an expert in this field but I know it can be done. Searching this forum on this topic may yield more info

Ian

One of the 3rd-party Crystal Reports viewers listed at has an extra option for cascading and dynamic parameters based on other Crystal Reports. This allows you to use Type-In parameters at any point within the parameter cascade.

hth,
- Ido

view, export, burst, email, and schedule Crystal Reports.

As Ian proposed, create a command and use it as a datasource for your dynamic parameter. You will see 2 parameter dialogs: the first dialog will ask for a text value , which will be used in the command to retrieve the list of values for the dynamic parameter. Once the LOV is prepared crystal engine will show another dialog box where you will be able to choose a value for the dynamic parameter, which will be used in the report. Be careful to not use the command inside the report. Using a command has 2 weaknesses:
- you will be able to set the text values just once - if you make a mistake you will need to restart the report
- you will see 2 separate dialog boxes for the parameter values , which might be confusing
However, it will not require 3rd party applications.

If you are looking for an option to implement cascading parameters using 3rd party applications, check this video : This approach will allow you to have both parameters on one screen and you will be able to change their values multiple times. Also it will simplify the report by moving the parameters values preparation to the report viewer.

Viewer, scheduler and report manager for Crystal reports and SSRS.
Send your report everywhere.

Thank you so much.
I'm going to investigate your suggestions right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back