Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cascading Combo Boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeadnaS

Programmer
May 30, 2011
Hi,

On my database I have two combo boxes, one called sizecombo and one called classcombo. sizecombo lists all of the tables in my database.

Now, I want classcombo to limit the number of tables listed in sizecombo to tables that begin with the word selected in classcombo.

So when it works I will be able to select a class from the classcombo. This will shorten the list in sizecombo to list only tables that start with the letters selected in classcombo. So say I select "ABCD" from classcombo then sizecombo will only list the tables I have that start with the 4 letters ABCD.

I have a lot of tables and this will help to make my form easier to use.

Thanks for any help!

Hope that makes sense!

SELECT MsysObjects.Name, Mid([Name],5) AS QueryName FROM MsysObjects WHERE (((Left([Name],3))=Me.classcombo)) ORDER BY MsysObjects.Name;

Thats what ive tried as the row source. Not working.

I get nervous when I see people even referring to MsysObjects. Maybe it is just me.

I would build a table (tblMyTables) containing the names of the tables that I wanted to use for the RowSource. The Table should have one Text Field (TableName) and nothing else. Use the following as your After_Update Event for ClassCombo:
Code:
Private Sub ClassCombo_AfterUpdate
Dim tbl As TableDef

DoCmd.RunSQL "DELETE * FROM tblMyTables"
For Each tbl In CurrentDb.TableDefs
   Select Case tbl.Name Like ClassCombo & "*"
      Case True
          DoCmd.RunSQL "INSERT INTO tblMyTables Values('" & tbl.Name & "')"
   End Select
Next
SizeCombo.Requery
End Sub
Make the RowSource for SizeCombo
Code:
SELECT * FROM tblMyTables OrderBy TableName
You could, of course, make the table temporary and delete the whole table and recreate it each time if you prefer.

This is one method. I would like to see how others (i.e. more skilled than I am) would do it.

Tried using that but i get an error message: Syntax Error in FROM clause.

Kinda don't understand how your code is supposed to do what i need.

I changed it to this

SELECT MsysObjects.Name, Mid([Name],5) AS QueryName FROM MsysObjects WHERE (((Left([Name],3))=classcombo)) ORDER BY MsysObjects.Name;

got it working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back