Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Carrier Signal / Detect

Status
Not open for further replies.

donlste

Programmer
Sep 19, 2001
GB
I having troubles with my modem. When I try to connect, it keeps saying it can't get a Carrier Signal / Detect. Does anyone have any solutions to help me solve this problem?

Regards

Sounds like it's not detecting dialing tone from your phone line. Is this a new installation? Was it working previously? Modem type? Operating system? Check phone line and socket/connection is all good.

ROGER - GØAOZ.

I have seen this happen to other modems after they were damaged by a lightening strike.

None the less, it sounds as if you are getting a dialtone, but the modem never receives a carrier from the distant end (I am assuming that you receive a NO CARRIER).

Open Hyperterminal and use the modem to dial your ISP. Make sure to set AT L3 so that you can hear the call progress tones yourself.

Just use AT DT <phone number>. If you hear carrier from the distant end, but the modem still returns a NO CARRIER response, then your modem is probably broken.

You can try issuing an AT &F to reset to factory defaults, but your modem may well need to be replaced.

Modems are VERY cheap now. It is probably quicker and easier to simply replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back