Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CAROOT PASSWORDS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR4G0L3N

IS-IT--Management
Mar 20, 2001
CA
Does anyone know how to find out (or replace) the caroot password without re-installing BrightStor?

Hi
try to use ca_auth command you can find it in EB folder

Mohammed

mohamdr,

Thanks. Forgot about those commands.

I really have to start writing these passwords down when I rebuild a server on a graveyard shift...

D.

Mohammed,

Got another one for which you might have an educated guess: I've been trying to setup a new user account to use instead of caroot on the primary server for the EB domain, and keep getting " failed ... reason : No permission for this operation" for everything except validating the caroot password.

I can't find anything on the CA site, or their Open Forums even closely related, so if you can't give me a shove in the right direction, I will be left with reinstalling to try to correct the problem. With 4 SP's now, I don't relish the task.

D.

Mohammed,

With which account are you logged into the server? I've had challenges with setting up a new user account when I tried to do it while not logged in as an administrator to the server, and if the caroot password wasn't accepted by BS.

Check for the authsetup.exe in the EB directory and use that to make sure you have a known password for caroot. After that use $caauth -user validate caroot <password> to test it.

As a follow up to make sure you have your server in the BS Domain (psuedo domain for organizing BS servers in case you skipped that section in the user guide) use $ca_conf to display the BS domain settings, and you can change them there.

After that all checks out as you wanted it, you should be able to validate the user account in question. I managed to unscramble my BS settings that way for 6 different standalone installs. Tedious but at least you don't have to reboot all the time to change things.

D.

There is a command in EB directory you can use to reset the password of CAROOT, but I forgot the command name now, it is something like &quot;caauth.exe&quot;.

Let me know if you need it I will find out for you.

databasebaba,

Thanks for the nudge in the right direction.

Fortunately, the company, in its infinite wisdom decided to not go for totally centralized backup management. I managed to get it to where I have all the servers using one database server now and will worry about using one admin account later.

D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back