Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Career Switch from Cobol to SAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

maheshs

Programmer
Nov 29, 2002
IN
Hi,
I am not sure if this is the right forum to raise this question (I believe this forum is for technical questions only), but anyways .....

I am having an opportunity to switch from Cobol programming to SAP as my company is executing a project for another client on SAP. I have 8 years of procedural language programming experience.

I have absolutely no idea about SAP.

Can any of you advice me if this is a good move?

What is the future of SAP in terms of job opportunities and pay packages?

Is SAP merely customisation work .. without much coding?

Does SAP require enormous function knowledge?

Is this ERP package losing out to other players like Oracle Apps or Peoplesoft?

Is SAP related only to the manufacturing industry?

Can you suggest some web sites which give some basic info about SAP?

Regards,
Maheshs.

Can any of you advice me if this is a good move?

What is the future of SAP in terms of job opportunities and pay packages?

Is SAP merely customisation work .. without much coding?

Does SAP require enormous function knowledge? Yes, but you learn it over the years.

Is this ERP package losing out to other players like Oracle Apps or Peoplesoft? SAP currently has more market share

Is SAP related only to the manufacturing industry? No, it covers other industreis like retail, banking, automotive, etc.

Regards,
askSAPsme

I am not an SAP expert either, but their SMB product, SAP Business One, is really hurting other players in the mid market such as Best, Exact Macola, Syspro, etc. Its a very good product.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back