Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Career question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 22, 2002
GB
I've been working on mainframe based systems for the last 12 years and am looking for a change. Networking has always interested me so thats where I'll be concentrating. I want to get at least a CCNP (hopefully CCIE) and will probably also get an MCSE as well. In the Microsoft forum there seem to be a lot of people of the opinion that MCSE's are now pretty much not worth the paper they're written on from a career point of view. I've noticed that there isn't any similar bad mouthing of the value of the Cisco qualifications. Does this mean that the Cisco qualifications are still highly regarded by prospective employers and would be a good carrer path to take ?

Yes, this is what i personally find on those certification, Microsoft started to rate their certifications very high and people jump on getting it, later a lot of employer realized that these MCSE doesn't know anything, just basic concept, doesn't work in real world, so these people who wants to be certified to get a decent pay job, they focus on Cisco CCNA to begin.

that's why Cisco is trying to make it harder in a sense, but they did a good job by making it more like real world questions where you actually use it. where as Microsoft, 80% of the questions on win2k i went to write, no one really use it in the real world, i got tone of questions on stupid installing Windows off the network.

Getting Cisco is not hard at all, you need to know the product well, then everything will make sense when you see those questions

Cisco 's exam worth a lot more especially CCNP and CCIE
if i were you, i will focus on those security and firewall study on top of your cisco certification

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back