Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Career Path...your opinion 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cisconooblet

Technical User
Mar 5, 2009
US
Sorry didn't see another forum better to post this in.

So I'm seeking the opinion of a few people I respect here. (sorry if I leave you off this just off the top of my head)
Burt, North, viper, Broda, unclerico, throw me some advice.

Trying to figure out what path I'm going to take after I pass the CCNA r&s (in a couple weeks). I currently have a CCENT, Net+ and a BS degree (CIS), about 8 years networking exp at small to medium size companies. (mostly isp's) I have high interest in anything on the networking side of the spectrum. (security, r&s, voice, wireless, etc) That said in this day and age I want a field that has demand, and pay. So I can find a job, like what I do and get paid for it. Basically I want to be as marketable as possible, like my job and make some decent money. If you were in my shoes and had time (as I do) what would you do? What path would you take? What cert would you do next? I'm tempted to just keep going on to a CCNP but I am weak in security, vpns and asa/pix so I'm tempted to do that also, wireless and voice markets are growing to. Bleh...to specialize in R&S or broaden my horizon. What would you do?

Security, and not only in Cisco. VoIP will eventually be almost stand-still, but security will never stop growing.

/

First thing is I would get as solid of a foundation on routing and switching as possible, whether or not that means going all the way to CCNP or not is up to you, but you should attain at least that level of knowledge. From there branching out to Security or Voice or Wireless will be made easier IMHO. The worst part about networking in general is that there are so many aspects that are interesting it is sometimes hard to stay on track. I often find myself suffering from information overload because I am trying to absorb so much stuff at one time. I want to get my CCIE R&S badly, but with a wife and two little ones at home I don't know that I can commit that kind of time to getting it done. As long as you stay on top of things you will always be in demand and making your fair share of money. One other thing to add to your repretoire is a solid understanding of virtualization technology. All aspects of the data center are going down that path so get comfortable with it; I loooooooooooooooooooooove virtualization with a passion, almost as much as I love networking in general.

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)
- ColdFlame (vbscript forum)

You speak French...repretoire...lol

I know where you are coming from---mine are 3 and 5, both boys, the 5 year old just turned 5 four days ago, and the 3 yr old will be 4 in one month. They are 13 months apart. Also have two coon hounds, one pees on EVERYTHING and the other eats his own mierda...yeah...self-recycling...they are 6 1/2 years old...

/

oh what a day in the life of burt must be like lol. the coon hounds sound like, um, very low maintentance??

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)
- ColdFlame (vbscript forum)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back