Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Career change suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjoubert

Programmer
Oct 2, 2003
US
Have any of you programmers/software developers/system engineers/etc ever thought of getting out of the IT world and switching careers? If so, what careers have you considered?

I've considered other careers related to my experience with emphasis on areas other than IT. I've been a software developer/analyst/business intelligence developer working with direct marketing initiatives in a particular industry for most of my professional career. If I was going to change careers, I would probably lean towards something more on the business side where I can utilize the experience I have already gained, e.g., direct marketing manager, etc. If your experience has been slanted towards a particular field or industry, then you might consider moving over into a non-IT role in that respect. Other than that, you would probably have to acquire some more education to move into something completely new and different.

I've thought about it, but at this point in my life/career I can't afford the pay cut that a change would require. I would like to work in Natural Resource Management - forest land, water conservation management, something outside and natural....

Leslie

Anything worth doing is a lot more difficult than it's worth - Unknown Induhvidual

Essential reading for database developers:
The Fundamentals of Relational Database Design
Understanding SQL Joins

Taking flying lessons now (I'm 48). If I switch it will be to become a CFI (instructor).

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger.
Then it hit me.

::scratches head::

Hmmm, what is this world outside of IT you speak of?

-Neema

Neema said:
Hmmm, what is this world outside of IT you speak of?

Sounds like someone has been stuck in their cubicle for far too long. [dazed]

I've always been interested in writing. I have a pamphlet on finding work as a copywriter, but I just haven't had the time or motivation to read through and follow up. I've read, in at least a few online articles, that copywriters with a technical background are in high demand these days.

Had over 27 jobs in my life. Sales, construction, IT, you can just about name it. Don't lock yourself in. Thought my IT career was over when the company I worked for went under, got depressed for awhile, then went back to work in sales, and pushed my own IT career, (Consultant), on the side. Move on to what you love, but always keep hold of what you are good at. Doesn't matter if you love raising Llamas, and are good at IT or the other way around. DO NOT limit yourself.

Glen A. Johnson
If you like fun and sun, check out Tek-Tips Florida Forum
[auto]Buckle up, it works<---Click here.

I'm of the opinion that you should do what makes you happy. If you are not happy with your current situation, then give another career a try.

If a drop in pay is preventing you from making a move, remember, money isn't everything, as long as you have enough to live comfortably, that should be enough.

[monkey][snake] <.

I remember someone telling me that to be successful I should do what I loved as a child, as that would be something that I was naturally good at.

(Now if I can only find someone to pay me for reading Enid Blyton...)

Fee

The question should be [red]Is it worth trying to do?[/red] not [blue] Can it be done?[/blue]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back