Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

career change advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

VBpunk

Programmer
Oct 4, 1999
CA
Visit site
I'm making the leap from Engineer / Programmer<br>to full scale VB Programmer.&nbsp;&nbsp;I've got a bunch<br>of interviews but I need to know a few things<br>before I change careers.&nbsp;&nbsp;Maybe some of you<br>out there can help.<br><br>1.&nbsp;&nbsp;How much do junior VB programmers make in<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;in Canada.<br><br>2.&nbsp;&nbsp;Have any of you had to write a test on VB<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;skills during an interview? <br><br>3.&nbsp;&nbsp;What should a non IT guy like me becareful<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;of when working in an IT company?<br><br>I ask number 2 because I've known people in<br>engineering who had to take tests in autocad<br>to get a job.<br><br>Thanks a lot for your reply.<br><br> <p>Deryck Ramsahai<br><a href=mailto:dramsahai@hotmail.com>dramsahai@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>It takes two to lie. One to lie and one to listen.

Deryck,<br><br>I did the same thing.&nbsp;&nbsp;I went from Electronics to Programming and found it to be well worth the time and effort.&nbsp;&nbsp;Also the compensation is much nicer!&nbsp;&nbsp;I think here in the USA in the mid-west you can get 30-35k a year.&nbsp;&nbsp;Don't let that discourage you, remember, you are a jr level programmer.&nbsp;&nbsp;However I encourage you stick it out for about a year or two and get a grip on how things are done.&nbsp;&nbsp;Then you can start moving up quickly assuming you're learning new things all the time.<br><br>I give the tests here at my company and most of the tests I've seen are very basic.&nbsp;&nbsp;They don't try to burn you.&nbsp;&nbsp;The test in ACAD your friend took was most likely for a specific job in the ACAD field.<br><br>What to be careful of?&nbsp;&nbsp;Hmmm...&nbsp;&nbsp;How about upper management changing the requirements on you and having to redo all the code you just spent months working on!&nbsp;&nbsp;That's a biggie and you'd be surprised how common it is!<br><br>Good luck. <p>Steve<br><a href=mailto:tribesaddict@swbell.net>tribesaddict@swbell.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back