Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Career Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

andy663

Technical User
Jul 14, 2009
GB
I am starting a computer science course in October at University in the UK. I am not sure which field I will want to get a job in once I have have completed the degree and hope that a broad introduction in the first year will help me to decide where my strengths lie and what aspect of computing I enjoy most.

However I would also like to ask for a list of jobs that I could go into with a computer science degree. I would also be interested in average salaries for these jobs, i.e. which are the best and worst payed.

Many Thanks

If I'm not mistaken, Computer Science is typically programming oriented. There are also usually Information Systems degrees which will focus on non-development aspects.

MCTS:System Center Virtual Machine Manager
MCSE:Security 2003
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator

Just to clarify kmcferrin's post, Computer Science is not the only path for programmers and Information Systems isn't the only path for non-programmers (at least in the United States). I'm a developer and have an Information Systems degree. I took many more courses in development and databases than in networking/hardware/operating systems/etc.

This is probably something you want to discuss with your counselor at the university. You need to make sure which path you want to take: in the United States, Computer Science has elements of Computers and Science/Engineering. Information Systems has elements of Computers and Business. You'll want to make sure that if you take a CS course but end up wanting to major in IS that the CS course still counts as credit towards your major if that is what you are going for. The reverse holds true as well. Although if it's like the U.S., even if you do not count it towards your major, you can probably keep it as an elective course.

Jobs to get with a computer science degree:

o McDonald's
o Truck Driver
o Construction worker

Just kidding. :)

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

A hot area right now is 'embedded', by that I mean writing firmware which is embedded within an application that has an on-board micro. A cell phone is an obvious example, but there are a myriad of others. It's hard to find softies that can write at the high level and also delve right down to the low level machine code too.

A second and related area is in emulation. So emulating a system by writing/modelling in an HDL language and committing to hardware using an FPGA.

In my line of business, more and more hardware is becoming FPGA based, simply due to the speed of the re-spin cycle and of course because FPGA's are becoming highly capable. This is a market that can only grow. Salaries, even for fairly low experience in this domain are £30-40k. I hired a guy quite recently and had to offer around this kind of figure to attract the attention of people in the marketplace.

So if you find this interesting, take a look at the FPGA products that companies like Altera and Xilinx offer. If you can implement hardware using software, programmed into those beasts, then you could work in all kinds of disciplines.

Systems Architecture and Implementation Consulting. It's hard to offshore physical presence.

Systems architecture and Implementation consulting. Maybe for a 20 year veteran in a specific sector. Not many of those out there.

I agree with gbaughma, but you left out one. Cable Man..

Thought about starting a new thread "Getting out of IT". After 13 years with an AAS, got my BSIT and finally made it to a well paying managers position for a Canadian-based company in Texas. The project fell through during recession time and left me in the cold with nothing but 13-15 dollar and hour offers running break/fix calls. Became a contract cable man to make ends meet.
Found my way into the medical area servicing analyzer type equipment in labs. I am low man on the totom pole and make what an IT manager makes with 20+ years of growth in front of me.

I guess I am saying for career advice, there are many other avenues besides programming from a cubical, or working with networks and users. There are many technical opportunities in the medical,oil&gas idustries, and I assume many others I am unaware of.

Bo

Remember,
If the women don't find you handsome,
they should at least find you handy.
(Red Green)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back