Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cardfile Feature Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougSilver

Technical User
Aug 29, 2002
US
Hello all--I have been using SideKick now for umpteen years. Believe it or not I have been successfully using Version 2.0 on my Windows XP machine without any problems (I have SK98 but I just did not see a compelling reason to change). After comparing a bunch of other PIMs, I kept with SideKick primarily due to one significant feature--the CARD LOG. I tend to keep a running narrative regarding contacts and calls made to clients and potential clients over the years and I do not believe there was any painless way to transfer all of this information to another PIM.

Anyway--now the question. One thing I have always wished for was a nesting type of card file. For example, what I would like is for the main car to be Company Name and the sub-cards would be individuals within that company. Right now, if there are say 5 people within the same company that I deal with (and would like to track separately) I still need 5 cards for that company (Company Name is one of my fields) and different individual names (one for each card).

I seem to recall that many years ago when I was playing around with ACT!, that program seemed to allow a single Company main card with sub-cards for the various individuals.

Anyway, I assume others out there must deal with this same issue and was wondering what could be set up to accomplish what I want to do.

Thanks,

Doug

Dear DougSilver ,

First of all create a card for each company with all the data entered in the company fields but leaving the details of the person out and then duplicate that card for each employee and enter their details.

You can then use the command:
Tools|Extract on condition
and create a temporary file which contains all the employees of that company. If you wish you could have a Department field which you can use to extract members of a department in a particular company.
If you set up a blank cardfile with Labels which can be printed (The contents of labels are saved with the cardfile so temporary cardfiles don't have any) you can then print out whatever you want and that includes pdf files if you set up a pdf printer.
Merge documents can be used which contain fields in their subject line which will be filled in with card info and they too can be printed to a printer or a pdf printer and saved as a file.
The possibilities are endless.

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort! Good Luck!

I think what I really had in mind was more of a "nesting" type of feature which I do not believe is doable in Sidekick and, for that matter, I am not sure what other Contact Managers might be able to do this. But what I envisioned was a "master card" for the company and then sub-cards that would be accessed from the master. Each sub-card would be a contact within that company. I have the cardfile set up so that the first sort field is Company and the second sort field is Lastname. Right now if there are 6 or 7 people in a given company with whom I deal, I need to create 6 or 7 Company cards, one for each of the contacts. I keep a running card log for each of those contacts so I can keep track of telephone calls and other communications or information.

The software package that I envision (apparently NOT doable in Sidekick) would start by my clicking on the Company, and once the Company card is opened there would be a bunch of other cards within (the individual contacts) that I could then click. Each of those would have a card log where I could enter my notes.

Does any contact software do this?

Thanks,

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back