Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

card file corrupted

Status
Not open for further replies.

mm1950

Technical User
Dec 20, 2003
US
Twice in the last 2 weeks, I have noticed a card that has been corrupted. The first time, it was the first card in the file. All of the fields were carried into the card itself. For instance, Last Name showed Last Name instead of Jones. This time, the information from one card partially appeared in the fields of another card.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

For those of you that don't back up your files, I was able, in both instances, to retrieve the damaged card from my backup.

Dear mm1950,

Usually something like you have described happens if you rename a field that had a reserved character in the name.
These (reserved characters) are symbols that Windows will NOT allow you to name a file with, even though Sidekick will let you UNFORTUNATELY name a field with them.

Examples of these reserved characters are:
#'@?$%^"!.,=+)(£/><

You can use:
-_

If you have unwisely used these characters, the only solution is to create a cardfile from scratch that does NOT contain them and copy your cards over after matching the fields in the match field dialog.

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back