Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Card bonding 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinkpanther56

Technical User
Jun 15, 2005
GB
Hi all

I have configured an LACP trunk on our SAN, for this to work I also had to configure the ports on our HP switch to recognise that these ports were part of a trunk.

On my Xenserver i've configured a two card bond which is working fine and I didn't set anything on the HP switch.

Can anyone tell me why this is, is it due to the Xen bond not using LACP?

Thanks.

more than likely what is happening is that you aren't truly teaming the NICs on the swtich side. I'll bet you if you look through the logs on the switches you'll see some entries regarding mac flapping.

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)
- ColdFlame (vbscript forum)

I'll take a look in the switch logs for that thanks.

Do you think I should be setting something on the switch?

yes, create a trunk and add any interface connected to your Xenserver into that trunk. Create a static trunk (i.e. no LACP).

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)

Should I also have flow control enabled on static and LACP trunk links?

Thanks.

flow control won't be necessary on those ports. you will typically configure flow control on ports connecting to things such as an iSCSI SAN.

Ah, i'll enable it on the LACP trunk to my iSCSI SAN then :) it seems to be running fine at the moment but if that will improve performance then i'll set it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back