Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Car Licence Plates and Peoples Faces in Pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnOB

Technical User
Oct 5, 2006
GB
Not a computer question, but thought maybe some people here would be able to help.

We have a computer system that holds pictures of our properties, some have cars outside in the picture, and in some the number plates are eligible.

I know how to remove the plates, but I wonder if anyone knows if legally we have to, would people have grounds to complain should we publish these pics with their licence plates in?

Also, what about if people themselves appeared in the pictures, and they saw the pics, would we need to ask permission from the people who appeared in the pics, even though we did not intend to capture them?

Thanks

"Stupid isn't not knowing the answer, it's not asking the question

> the number plates are eligible

Eligible for what? Selling on eBay?

I'm sorry I don't know the answers to your questions, but don't newspapers publish photos including people and even number-plates every day of the week?

Well, I have heard of number plate cloning. For example if someone saw a picture of your car, and they could read your number plate, if they had the exact same make model and colour of car, they could copy your plates and put them on their car, and then if they got snapped on police camera you may get the blame, as there would be no proof it wasn't your car.

I also heard that Google street view plan to remove peoples faces and also licence plates if they can be made out, and I thought maybe it was a big thing, but maybe not.

"Stupid isn't not knowing the answer, it's not asking the question

Who has access to these pictures?
If the focus is on the properties (what kind of properties?), blur the plates and faces out as they simply won't matter anyway.

I take photos for a living. You do not need permission to photograph people if they are in a public place (although I would ask if they minded if I were to be making them a prominent part of the image. It's just courtesy.)

Number plates, well you can see a number plate on a car in the street, why would you need to see it in a photo to copy it?

If you're worried blur them out but I wouldn't bother.

Learn something new every day
Using Crystal 8, Oracle Database Paint Shop Pro X1 Nikon D80

I agree with AyJayEl, but I would consult with a Lawyer if you're really that concerned about it. Public is that - Public.

Good luck,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back