Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Capturing elusive data

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krystoff

MIS
Sep 18, 2002
US
Hello all!

I am having trouble figuring out a way to search data and there really might not be a way.

Here is the problem.

I have a database that I made for my department. It has customer information in it. My company has a different database that houses customer information, and new sales information.

Without the use of any unique identifiers (like CustomerID) I need to get the sale information from their database to my database.

Here are the fields that both databases house.

SSN
Name
Address fields (City state and Zip)

Oh and to make matters a little worse, I can have the same customer twice (or more) in my database and they can have the same customer twice(or more) in their datbase.

Any help on this is appreciated! I can also use stored procedures or vba if it would make this easier.

Chris

Have you tried creating a link from the tabels in their database to your database? Then you could link their Customer table to yours via SSN and query both tables.

-Gary

Gary,

Yep Im doing that but I guess I should have made myself more clear.

The problem comes up when I have these situations:

1 record in my database, 2 records in their database

2 records in my datbase, 2 records in their datbase

2 records in my database, 1 record in their database

I begin to duplicate data and can't always put the correct information on the correct line.

I can easily get all ssn's that match straight across. IE one record in their table, one record in mine. I need to figure out an easy way to capture all of the rest of it.

Hope that explains a little more thouroughly

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back