Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Capturing data from a serial port

Status
Not open for further replies.

kriss

Programmer
Oct 24, 2001
KE
Hie folks,
I have some kind of a terminal(a "keyboard" without a monitor) that I input data which I finally print out normally from a printer. The terminal has a serial port that I connetc to a printer.
My problem is , is there a way I could capture and display this data ? Say if I connected the terminal to a computer first , read the data then print it it. How would I go about deciphering what is coming out of the terminal port ??

Thanks

Kriss

hi kriss,
as of my knowledge there r no system functions in pb.
if u want to capture data from a serial port u have to go for some other tools ( say for ex: c,vc++ or vb) where u can create dlls to capture data from port and u can use the same dlls in pb to get the same data into pb.

hope this will help u out...
if u get any more information regarding this please let me know....

thanks
anu

Serial ports are treated in Win 32 like files and it is possible to use the PB file operations plus the Win API to do some of what you're trying to do.

I've used a product called SoftwareWedge from TAL Technologies to communicate with serial devices like credit card readers and modems. This product works very well, is not expensive and is backed up by great customer support. It facilitates the process of figuring out the data streams from the device which is really the tough part.

You can get more info at:

I'm not an employee of TAL, just a satisfied user.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back