Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

capturing cisco configs using tftp problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

droodle

Technical User
Nov 10, 2005
AU

I have two switches both cat3560G.
They are on the same subnet

i am using a NMS solution that captures the running config by tftp.

One works and captures the config fine the other doesn't and fails with an error "no config"

The switch clearly has a config.

to get the NMS out of the equation i have logged onto the switch and run copy tftp:\\server\file location running-config

this works on one but fails on the other with a no config error ...

where would you go next to trouble shoot ?

thanks.

Hello,

Could you post the running config of the two switches?

Regards

Viconsul

unfortunately not .. i have them tho ... what should i be looking for ?

thanks.

Get the 3560 config guide and read the bit about the file system to make sure you know where it is stored.

They are likely tar zipped, in the same place as the other. What happens when you do one at a time while they are not connected to eachother?

Burt

what do you mean are they tar zipped ?

As a test i did the following on both switches.

created a file in my tftp folder on my pc called myupload and in it i had

snmp-server location blah blah

i then ran on the the switch in priviledged mode ...

#copy tftp: running-config
Address or name of remote host? x.x.x.x
Source filename [myupload]?
Destination filename [running-config]?

one works ... the other fails with error no config ?

thanks.

Post these from the one that does not work...

sh conf
sh run
sh start
sh flash

And then the same for the one that works. Again---have you tried this without both switches connected to eachother??? Have you tried just a regular tftp daemon and copy run tftp? That would point to the program you're using, at least narrow it down.
I know that in a 3750, the file is a .tar, which is a compressed file. Sorry for saying "tar zipped"---cross between gunzip and tarbals...lol

Burt

Droodle,

How are you connecting to the switches, are you using the console port or are you connecting over the lan? It is worth checking that your default gateway on the switches are set correctly.

Viconsul

I've narrowed it down that it isn't the tftp program as a tried a different tftp client with the same results.

I'm connecting to the switches by the lan.

Third time...
Again---have you tried this without both switches connected to eachother???

Burt

thanks for all your advice, the problenm was down to some config on the switches .. i don't know waht exactly as i didn't do the changes - thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back