Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

capture multiple tier questions (with more than one selected)

Status
Not open for further replies.

03Explorer

Technical User
Sep 13, 2005
US
If I have a question that can have more than one item checked as the example below. with my solution to follow... but my REAL question follows that.

Question: What products sold
() Shoes
() shirt
() pants
() socks
() belts

table1
======
ID
itemID
status {y/n}

Items
=====
ID
ItemName

HOWEVER... my question gets more complicated!!!

Question: What products sold
() paper
() envelope
() legal
() letter
() 8.5 x 11
() other
specify other _________
() pencil
() eraser
() tape

HOW can I capture the sub category of envelope? along with other?

I would recommend setting up an ItemCategory table. All items should be in there catagory. All top level items should be in a top level catagory. Then use a bitwise value to store the value of which options were checked. SQLDenis posted some examples on how to to this in forum183.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

mrdenny,

Sorry, I was unable to search at this time with in forum183. I searched via Google bitwise... I see what you are saying. However I did not find a good article on using bitwise for a choice. Everything I found is based on MS access and using VBA. I am in the ERD stage of building and am not certain how to use this technique. Any additional help would be great.

Thanks

Thanks SQLSister. That's exactly the one I was thinking of.

Explorer, check out the article that Denis posted the link to and if you have additional questions, let us know.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back