Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Capture from Digital-8 Camcorder

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottyjohn

Technical User
Nov 5, 2001
GB
Hi all,
This is more of a general firewire issue, but maybe somebody can help? I have a TRV310E cam and I am trying to setup my PC to capture via firewire. I have upgraded my pC internals to include an A-Bit NF7-S mobo which has a 1394 dual port header included. I have rebuilt my PC with Win XP Pro and installed the drivers for the mobo. I connect my camcorder and switch it on in VCR mode, but nothing happens, no device detected or anything. Premier 6.0 says the device is unavailable for control, and Win DV also show that there is no device connected. Its a brand new Belkin cable and I have even tried installing a new PCI firewire card and drivers to see if it was the onboard 1394 host controller which was the problem, but I get the same issue. I am running direct X 9a am I missing some driver I need to install for the cam? I didnt get any software with the cam. Can anyone please help? Im almost at the point of installing my old DC10+ to go with analogue capture!!

John
ski_69@hotmail.com
[bigglasses]

It sounds like you have up-to-date technology to make this happen. Have you visited the Abit webpage and downloaded the latest BIOS and drivers for that particular motherboard?

If that doesn't work, make sure you have latest drivers for your 3rd party firewire card.

Either way, check device manager and make sure XP doesn't have issues with your 1394 hardware. Memory address issues, hardware disabled/enabled, etc.

Some people have had difficulty using onboard 1394 and were forced into 3rd party cards to get Premiere to work. For now, isolate the problem in XP and get it to recognize that your device is connected. Once that problem is resolved, then tackle Premiere. Hopefully by that time it is a non-issue.

Thanks for the response. The third party card doesnt have any drivers with it, only Ulead lite. It does appear in device manager and it states that it is working correctly. I read somewhere else about a guy who used a wrongly pinned firewire cable and it blew the socket in his cam. I think I may have been fumbling in the dark and slotted mine in the wrong way could this have caused the same issue? If so I'll need to take it along to the local sony repair shop and get them to test the firewire port. The trouble is I dodnt have any other firewire device to test with, spare cables, bought a spare port card but no second cam!

John
ski_69@hotmail.com
[bigglasses]

I had the same problem.

I resintalled Premiere....if XP can "see" that you have your camcorder plugged in you are half way to solving the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back