Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

capture data from a network printer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jad73

Programmer
Apr 26, 2001
US
Everyday at noon time we are sent work orders to our networked printer. I assume they connect VPN and print directly to the printer's IP address. Is there a way I can intercept and copy the data that is going to the printer to a file so that I can upload into our database. Its either that or hire someone to enter in 200+ work orders a day.. :(

Sounds like you want to defeat the purpose of the VPN. If your vendor is sending data directly to the printer, why not ask them to also send you a file with the data elements for use with your WO system. Besides that, chances are the information being sent to the printer is in printer format and in printer "language". Extracting the data is possible but not pleasant. It's much better to get a clean data file from the source.

WW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back