Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Caps Lock behaving strange

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterasf

Technical User
Jul 1, 2002
BE
A client asked me to move his 'old' Foxpro DOS program from a W98 to a XP system. The program runs nice but there is a problem : all data is entered with CapsLock engaged, but this only works for the ALPHA and NUMERIC keys. For all other keys the SHIFT key must be pressed to get the correct result. An example : the '-_' key left from the backspace-key always returns the "-" sign unless the 'SHIFT'" key is pressed at the same time, wether CapsLock is engaged or not. We use a 'AZERTY' keyboard with the 'Belgium French' driver. The same problem exists on two totally different XP systems so I suppose it is not a BIOS problem.

Is there a registry setting in XP to resolve this problem?

Thanks,
Peter

I can only comment on Windows' behaviour with English (UK) international settings, and a British QWERTY keyboard, but I think this is true generally:

[Caps Lock] is just that - a Capital Letters lock. It shifts the letters A-Z into upper case, but has no effect on other characters.

I have not heard of it shifting the numeric keys (at the top of the keyboard?) or affecting other keyboard keys.

One way around the 'shift everything' problem might be to switch on the 'sticky keys' option via XP Accessibility Options. This locks the [Shift] key down if it is pressed twice. Would this help?

Bob Stubbs

Thanks for your answer Bob.

Altough I understand that 'CapsLock' only locks the ALPHA keys (and apparently the NUMERIC keys also) then why does the keyboard behave differently (normally ?) in a Windows application (e.g. Wordpad). When I have my Dos app opened in its window and the Wordpad in another, pressing the same key gives a different result. I suppose there must be a setting to define the keyboard (or CapsLock) behaviour when running a Dos-program.

Peter

Are there any settings within FoxPro that could control this? I have 1 application where there is a specific setting for 'caps lock enabled' that will cause exactly the behavior that you describe.

Alternatively, have you tried running the program in compatibility mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back