Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cap issue on MICS 4.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cotech1950

Technical User
Mar 24, 2014
US
Hello, I am a retired telco tech and help support Norstar systems at a local school. A 7324 with 1 cap started resetting and found a long line cord feeding the lock pin was broke at jack and was no fully seated and replaced. that seemed to take care of the issue until noticed the cap was no longer functioning due to a psu failure, could have been the issue all along. A former co coworker had a valcom 24v psu so I obtained it as well as other spare parts. place psu cap did not come up went to check voltage and could smell psu hot and no voltage. I am going to order a psu today and will monitor voltage when I plug it in to see what happens. I at this point do not know if it was just a bad used psu or something is killing the psu's. I am going to measure line to cap and phone to see if something abnormal. I have no other 7324 but there was a spare cap that must have been in service at one time. I did get 3 7310 phones with blf modules and could bale on the cap. Any suggestions on what it might be, also since 1 cap do I still need 6 wie cord from cap to phone?

Some CAP tips I can give you even though you know most of it...

CAP Modules

Power Supply - called SAP - Station Auxiliary Supply - one per every two CAPS
1 CAP - Pos to Tip & Neg to Ring (Pos to WO & Neg to OW)
2nd CAP - bride/loop orange pair to the green pair at the MDF, you could at the jack but harder to troubleshoot.
If the SAP is over a 1000 feet then you may need to put a SAP on each orange and green pairs

Jack
BW/WB = Pins 4&5 Digital Signal
WO/OW = Pins 3&6 CAP #1
WG/GW = Pins 2&5 CAP #2

6 Pin cable from jack - to the CAP or 2nd CAP if using.

Yes you can use a 4 pin mod cord if only using one CAP, but make sure its not a variety store cheapo.

If you need to assign lines to a CAP then you must go to CAP Assignment in programming and assign the DN numbers that require lines to be on the CAP, I think 5 DN's is the max.

If the CAP seems to flash/initialize too long then try resetting the CAP by pressing and holding 2 bottom buttons on the outside rows for a bout 5 seconds or so.

If you think there is an issue with the inside cabling from MDF to the desk phone jack then put the power supply near the phone and tap into the jack from there.

I think that covers it otherwise you may have a bad CAP put they are still out there.

BLF Modules
They do not need a SAP
If CICS/MICS is at software version 6.1 or up, then your M7310 must be release 16 or higher.

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Hey thanks, psu is located at jack, I just assumed old psu just went out or the valcom 24v I got its time to go or something is shorted toward cap from jack. Ordering a new psu and will meter everything for resistance. In the spare phones I was given there were 3 7310's with blf but the receptionist wanted to keep existing although she only monitors 1 or 2 stations for status. Seemed simple just to get another psu but ohhh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back