Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CAP file extension 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

arguello

MIS
Dec 14, 1999
VE
Where can I find information about the Sniffer capture file CAP extension layout?

Thanks in advance

I need the CAP extension layout, because I'm trying (along with a co-worker)to put the sniffer captured trace file in a repository for future graphing/analysis using especific fields. I have to manipulate the captured trace file fields, for example: absolute time, delta time, IP addresses, etc. That's why I need the layout.
Any help is welcome.
Thanks,
Luis

Hi Luis,

The CAP file format is proprietary, but you will probably find most of the information you require when you export the trace file in csv format. Then you can view the info in Excel or similar software that can read csv files

Regards

Simon

Hi folks,

Sniffer Pro 4.7 has modified the output file to the point where it isn't 'easy' or 'obvious' to create throughput charts anymore.

If you go to my website under the NAI link you'll see how I was able to do it before. I now use Ethereal to create the test file (from the command prompt), easier nd with more options.

Check out the info on my site and let me know how it goes.

Regards 'Making things work better; bit by bit.'

Go to ethereal.com
They have a decoder as well as the format for .cap

Do anyone now where I can download a demo version of Sniffer Pro 4.7 ???

Thanx, CJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back