Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't view data access page on Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

smoot

Technical User
Feb 5, 2002
US
Hello All,

I've created a data access page to work on over the intenet. It can't find the database. It shows the path in the error message. Do I need the Microsoft PWS or IIS server to view these pages? I see the form, but #name is in all the text boxes. I'm running a small personal web server (ABYSS), no problem viewing in my browser but not away from home. I save the database in the root folder of my web server and the data access page in a web folder on the server. I also tried saving both (database, access page) in root and web folder. I edited the path/string to the database using the select page option to point to the database, but I guess I'm doing it wrong. Any suggestions? Thank you so very much.

The data access pages require a remote data provider.
The easiest way to do this is to create a new page.
Add the fields/tables (They cannot be involved in a relationship) then choose Edit/Select Page then click the properties button on the toolbar. Click the data tab and set the UseRemoteProvider option to TRUE.

Hope this helps.

CC

CausticCompliance,
Thanks, but it's still not working. I can see it in my web browser, I guess because it's on my system. When I try to access it from a different computer (at work for example) I get the error message "Microsoft Web Compenents cannot open c:\MyFolder\MyDatabase". I know I have the necessary web components installed on my pc at work and I'm using IE 6. Any other suggestions? Thanks again.

Smoot

This sounds like the same problem that I had when I first started doing DAPs.

When you first start setting up you DAP, you have to tell it where your data is coming from. This generates the "Field List" that you see on the right side of your screen when you are in page design mode. If you look at the top of that "Field List", it will show you the location that Access will use to try and find the data that populates the DAP. If that field list shows as pointing to data on your c drive, when the DAP is opened by anyone else, it is going to try to find the data on THEIR C:\ drive. Oviously, it isn't there, and that is why you get that error.

What I would do is:

1) verify that the data used is located on a drive that is accessable by everyone that will want to view it. In most cases that means on a network drive. If the data must be stored on our c: drive, you must put it in a subdirectory that is shared, and you won't be able to turn your computer off at night if other people will be accessing the data while you are away.

2) once you get your data stored correctly, you will need to change the pointer used by Access to get to the data. In the upper left hand corner of the Field List window of the DAP design window is an icon for "page connection properties". Click that icon. This will take you to the Data Link Properties, whick will allow you to map to your data. Make sure that you map using the URL path (\\Servername\directory...) as opposed to the mapped location you may be using (assigning a drive letter to a network drive).

I hope that this gets you on the way to solving your problem. Let me know how it turns out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back