Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CAN'T USE SOFTWARE WHEN LOGGED ON AS CERTAIN USERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kocheace

Vendor
Oct 31, 2002
US
I can't figure this out everyone. I installed several software suites and packages on several Win2000 and WinXP systems. Let's say that my name is "John". If someone else logs on to the network on that PC, certain programs won't work. Why is that? Is it because the software was installed under John's account? If more info is needed to help me please post a thread mentioning such.

Say 'ello..... to my little friend!

This is usually the case when you have multiple user accounts on the XP machine. In this case, the program has been personalised for 'John' use only. One way to check is by looking at C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs. In here would be the list of programs that you will be able to see, no matter who you log in as. Now if you look at C:\Documents and Settings\John\Start Menu\Programs the list of programs there would be different.

To solve your problem, you can try copying the programs from C:\Documents and Settings\John\Start Menu\Programs to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs.

Also somtimes it helps to install as the local admin account of the computer. If you didnt do so allready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back