Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't use shortcut to Excel Document?

Status
Not open for further replies.

J741

Technical User
Jul 3, 2001
CA
Windows NT 4.0 workstation. "All Users" profile has a shortcut to a Microsoft Excel document on the desktop with full controll permissions for everyone. Some users can use the link with no problem; Excel opens the document as expected. Most users get a "can not find file (or one of it's components" message instead. If they open Excel, then open the documents from the file menu, the docemt opens as expected; Only the desktop shortcut gives them a problem.

What could cause this, and how can I prevent it from happening?

Have a look at the properties of the shortcut and see exactly what file its linking to. If the file is on the local machine, it should link to a fixed local address (eg, c:\winnt\profiles\all users\docs\excel.xls). If its on a file server, should be fixed unc name (eg \\fileserver\sharename\excel.xls). If it contains any substitutions (eg, %systemroot%), this may be cause of problem.

UNC reference to file on server, no variables or substitutions.

So do all users have appropriate access to that file (and the whole path to that file)?

Yes. The permissions for the netowrk share, the file itself, and the shortcut are "everyone - full control". That is why this is so troublesome - It should just work as far as I can tell.

Are there any spaces in the UNC reference the link is using? And if so, is it enclosed in ""? (I'm grasping at straws - some other posts where some NT workstations have problem accessing a resource where there are spaces in the address).

I dont think there are any spaces in the UNC reference (I'm not in front of the PC at the moment). I don't think the UNC reference is at issue here, as the UNC reference in the shortcut does not change, only the user is different.

Have you compared which local and domain groups all the users belong to - just to see if there are any obvious differences between the ones with and without access?

Has anyone resolved this Excel issue? I may have a fix to this strange problem, for I have had the similar opening issue.

No, this problem remains unresolved, along with many others.

I had this problem with a particular workstation running NT.
Whenever I would try to open any XLS file when the Excel program isn't opened first would give me the "can not find file...
What had happened is the location of Excel.exe had changed on that workstation thus causing NT not to be able to find Excel.exe in it's original path location from the very first time Excel was installed.
You first need to find where Excel.exe is located and copy the path down. ie find.... files and folders.
Go to "my computer",View, Options, File Types and scroll down to Microsoft Excel Worksheet. Highlight it and choose "edit", Highlight "open" inside the actions box, than click on "edit". Look in the box labeled "Application used to perform action" and change the path to the new path you copied down which contains Excel.exe.
This fixed me, hope this helps you.

Well boys, I've found a solution, although not what I would call a permanent solution. All you have to do is add the path to EXCEL.EXE to the shortcuts target (along with the file name). An example may look like this

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\EXCEL.EXE" "Z:\Network Files\Database\exceldoc.xls

check to see if "hide network neighbourhood" is checked in the shell>>restrictions section in system policy editor

sort of a long shot, but if the people who are unable to follow the shortcut are in a different policy group than the people who are that might be the issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back