Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't Use Browser when on DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpociask

IS-IT--Management
Nov 17, 2005
US
I have a weird problem with an Win 2003 server install.

My client has 4 windows XP machines. I have a windows 2003 server acting as a domain controller. When the PCs join the domain, they cannot use internet Explorer. I don't mean that they can't find any pages, I mean if I type "Google.com" into the address bar and press "go" the browser doesn't do anything. The icon in the top right corner does not spin (as if a page is trying to load). On 1 pc, I can get into google, but if I press the "GO" button, nothing happens. Some of the links on the google home page work, but others don't. The really weird thing is, MSN.com (which is the default page) loads fine. If I log in on the local PC, it works 100% fine.

Any ideas?

Sounds like a group policy problem since it only seems to be affecting domain users. Is ISA server running on the server? Do the clients behave any differently if you log onto an XP station with the domain admin account? And what about when you try to browse from the server with the domain admin account? Are there any errors in the client event logs?

Some of the pages that do come up might just be cached in the profile somehow.

I would load the Group Policy Management Tool on your server and look through each of the policies carefully and make sure that a policy hasn't been created for Internet Explorer and applied to Authenticated Users. For example, if there is a policy that requires the clients to use a proxy server, and there isn't one set up, that could kill things.

Let us know what the answers to some of those questions are, and maybe we can give you some better answers.

ShackDaddy

Thanks for the tips. The only question I have an answer to right now is there are no errors in the logs. I can broswe the net on the server.

I can say with 80% confidence, that when I was doing preconfiguration on the server at my apartment, the clients go surf the net just fine.

I have not touched ANY thing in group policy. This is a new server from DELL with a fresh load of Win 2003 Server.

I won't be at this client's office for a little while, but I will post new finding when I do go back.

Thanks!

The first place I would look is the default domain policy.

Also ipconfig/all the client machines and make sure all the info is correct.

Can you ping the dns server or any outside the network IP's?

A+, Network+, MCP
========================================>
My first computer was the Atari 400 (heh)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back