Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't upgrade from XP Home SP2 to XP Pro SP1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CFPR

MIS
May 9, 2003
PR
Just bought a laptop with XP Home SP2. I already had purchased an XP PRO Upgrade with SP1. When I try to upgrade my new laptop to XP Pro, it gives the dreaded error that the version installed is newer than the one to be upgraded.. Any ideas? (excluding buying a new upgrade!!!)

Thanks..

MW

. If Service Pack 2 was installed in integrated form, slipstreamed into the OS, a clean install is the only sane course for you. Your retail Upgrade will allow such an installation although it will prompt you for 'Qualifying media' in the form of an earlier OS CD;

. If Service Pack 2 was added to an SP1 installation through CD or download, use Control Panel, Add/Remove programs, check the box at the top to show updates, and uninstall Service Pack 2. Then do the upgrade.

Upgrading to XP pro after SP2 installation
thread779-941901

Just because it might help, at one point I looked at how to dis-assemble a recovery CD so that you could slipstream a Service Pack.

I abandoned the project when after some original success I found that not all Recovery CDs are the same. Also, I realized that if I published the results I would receive close to a million support requests.

If you have a Dell, and If you machine came with the right reinstallation CD, then the following will work, as I tested it on a new Dimension 8400. Any problems, please ask linney:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back